England call off ODIs with India after terror attacks in Mumbai

November 27, 2008 at 11:19 am Leave a comment


England have postponed their remaining two one-day internationals in India but discussions are continuing over the two match test series. This follows terror attacks in a hotel in Mumbai, where England are scheduled to play the second test on 19 December. The events have also lead to the postponement of the inaugural Twenty20 Cricket Champions League.

The England squad will remain in Bhubaneswar until at least Friday while the ECB continues discussions with Indian officials. The ECB is also taking advice from the foreign office on whether it is safe enough to stay on.

“The safety and security of the team is of the utmost importance to ECB. We have reviewed all our security arrangements in the light of these attacks and will be taking all necessary steps to ensure the safety and security of the team. We are urgently seeking information from expert sources regarding last night’s attacks and will continue to hold further discussions with our colleagues from the BCCI over the next 24 hours”– ECB managing director Hugh Morris

The ICC have said that they will not get involved with negotiations between both parties unless there was a disagreement from both sides.

It still remains unclear if the ODIs will be played at a later date or will be cancelled altogether, but according to cricinfo the two remaining ODI matches have been abandoned.

“We have been told England are going back home. So we are going to our
homes”, –
Venkatesh Prasad, India’s bowling coach, told Cricinfo

One of the hotels which was targeted was the Taj Mahal hotel, where England stayed previously on the tour and where scheduled to stay ahead of the second test. The Middlesex team is also scheduled to stay in that hotel on Thursday night, just 24 hours after the attack. However, they have decided to delay plans until Friday before deciding whether to travel, with the champions league likely to be moved to Bangalore.

“I don’t think we will be going (to India) now – why would you? It is just not worth the risk. No amount of money is worth the risk with what is going on over there at the moment.” – Rajasthan Royals captain Shane Warne

The ICC Champions trophy was postponed this year because of terror attacks in Pakistan and it could be that a similar decision is to be made.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Cricket.

Vaughan confident of return to Test side Two match test series will go ahead as planned

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


England Cricket

Write an Article for EnglandCricket



If you are interested in writing an article (no pay) for EnglandCricket then please contact me on:
englandcricket1[at]gmail[dot]com

Blog Stats

  • 46,778 hits

Cricinfo Latest

News [clearspring_widget title="Cricinfo Latest News" wid="484cf1417af6cdc3" pid="4a2fac9d1853503a" width="400" height="300" domain="www.widgets.cricinfo.com"] Scorecards [clearspring_widget title="Cricinfo International Scores" wid="482c264908cd8b29" pid="4a23c1ba67f633c7" width="300" height="250" domain="www.widgets.cricinfo.com"]

%d bloggers like this: