Sri Lanka tour to England in serious doubt

October 10, 2008 at 1:01 pm Leave a comment


Sri Lanka’s tour to England in the summer looks over after the Sri Lanka Cricketers’ Association finalised a $70 million proposal that will mean the SLC will have to have full participation in the IPL and the Champions League. The proposal will be presented to the Board of Control of Cricket India (BCCI). The 10 year deal suggests that SLC must release all their players for the IPL and Champions league.


This proposal follows the decision by sports minister Gamini Lokuge, that all players contracted to the IPL must be released from the tour to England. Sri Lanka were scheduled to play 2 tests and 3 ODIs in May following the cancellation of Zimbabwe’s tour to England. However, with the release of key players it means that either a “virtual Sri Lanka A” team will tour, or the tour will be cancelled.
 

The series is definitely off since it has not yet been ratified by the ECB and still remains subject to its approval. So, there is absolutely no chance they are now going to sanction the series against a virtual Sri Lanka A side,”

-a board official said.

The Sri Lankan officials have, however, offered the ECB a three match ODI series after May 25 (end of IPL). They are also considering an offer from the ECB to play in a Stanford 2020 tournament before the Twenty20 world cup in June.

“We have a signed contract with SLC in which we agree to play two Tests and three ODIs, we have had no other contact from SLC.”

– An ECB spokesman told Cricinfo
 

The SLC had discussed the England tour with IPL chairman Lalit Modi last month, where he agreed for Sri Lanka’s participation in the Champions League and IPL if they pledge their full support. This deal does however allow Sri Lanka to tour England in June 2011, as scheduled.

If Sri Lanka do pull out of the tour to England or send a weakened side, it suggests that the players are more concerned about the money rather than playing international cricket. If this is the way everything is going to go in the future then it would lead to more cancellation of tours so that players can compete in quick buck tournaments. This decision seems weird as the ECB had offered them the chance to play in the Stanford 2020 tournament next year, where the players had a chance of making up some of the money they would lose by not competing in the IPL. The ECB should look at withdrawing their offer for Sri Lanka to compete in the Stanford 2020 tournament if the team is not prepared to play in the tour.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Cricket, England, IPL, Sri Lanka.

England could face second string Sri Lanka side England to use Umpire Appeals for the first time

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


England Cricket

Write an Article for EnglandCricket



If you are interested in writing an article (no pay) for EnglandCricket then please contact me on:
englandcricket1[at]gmail[dot]com

Blog Stats

  • 46,778 hits

Cricinfo Latest

News [clearspring_widget title="Cricinfo Latest News" wid="484cf1417af6cdc3" pid="4a2fac9d1853503a" width="400" height="300" domain="www.widgets.cricinfo.com"] Scorecards [clearspring_widget title="Cricinfo International Scores" wid="482c264908cd8b29" pid="4a23c1ba67f633c7" width="300" height="250" domain="www.widgets.cricinfo.com"]

%d bloggers like this: